Monday, August 6, 2012

Refashion: Baby Sweater


You will need:
An old adult sweater. 
(Mine is a mens sweater that I wore during my last pregnancy)
wrapping paper or scrapbook paper for your pattern
A sweater that fits your child well
pantry items:
sewing machine
scissors
thread
scrap fabric (optional)



First take a sweater that fits your child well and cut out a pattern.  Fold the sweater in half and cut a piece for the body and a piece for the arms.  I just used old scrapbook paper but you could use anything really.  Take your old sweater and cut out a piece for the front, back and both arms.  Make sure to add 1/2 inch seam allowance to all pieces.  Try to find a part of the sweater that will make it more interesting or in my case I turned the sleeves inside out so the writing wouldn't show.  Also cut the ribbing from sleeves and the bottom if you would like your sweater to have it.  Now sew it back together just like the large one and wallah! A mini version.  I originally put a hood on this one but it didn't over her head so I had to scrap it.  But the best part is this fabric doesn't fray so any alterations are no big deal.  She also requested some hearts on the front.



And she's off!

xo Brit

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, but the sweater is 100 times cuter when your little girl's face is included in the photo. fabulous idea! I just made a cardigan from a Thrift Store lambswool cowl neck sweater and my rotary cutter. Voila`! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete